Three years ago was the first Wayhome festival and my first music festival, I had no idea what to expect for a weekend of camping and attending a festival where I only knew a few acts. It turned into one of the best weekends of my life and an annual ritual for my friends and I. Although there are a few things I have learned from my past three years…mainly how to survive the camping part.
So Here are my top tips & tricks:
– First step is accepting as hard as you try you will not be getting a decent sleep for an entire weekend.
– Bring an air mattress because even though you will be so tired you could fall asleep anywhere at night your body will be in physical pain after sleeping on hard ground for three nights
– If you don’t believe me below is my fit bit stats from last year’s festival from the Saturday night at midnight to Sunday at Midnight…
– One of the MOST important things is trying to escape the wrath of the sun when you’re camping in the middle of a field
– You can’t just hide from the sun in your tent unless you want to sit in a sauna
– Tarps and canopies will be the best options for creating shade as long as you bring unlimited bungee cords and rope
– Remember to eat, it is very easy to just snack on chips and candy for hours before you realize you haven’t had “real” food in hours.
– Have two coolers one for your food one for your drinks. Try to use ice packs not ice to keep food cold (keeps the food from getting wet)
– Car Space is CRUCIAL, everything in your car should be essential for the weekend
– My first year there was no limit because GA tickets came with a campsite (aka parking spot), but since things have changed and it costs extra for the campsite. Wayhome claims one campsite accommodates 4-6 people but, good luck fitting 6 people and all their camping gear in one car.
– Bring more water than you think you will need because people will take them without asking
– When in the festival take every opportunity to fill empty bottles at the free water stations, you can never have enough water when you’re drinking, walking and in the sun all day
– Trust me the 10$ per shower is worth every penny
– Set your alarm to beat the crowds, because you will be up by then anyway
– Baby wipe showers, what are those you ask? It is the point in the day when you realize you have a thin layer of dirt, sunscreen and sweat covering your entire body and you have already paid for one shower. Baby wipes are fast and easy they get all the nasty dirty quickly off of you.
- HAVE FUN
– Accept the weekend is going to be non-stop fun and you will be physically and mentally drained Monday but it is worth it
– Enjoy the music take a few videos and pictures then put the phone away and dance until you can’t move